www.writerapriladams.com

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Her Best Match: A Romantic Comedy (Best Girls Series Book 1) - Review

Her Best Match (Best Girls, #1)



Ok you guys, or should I say you girls... or actually, hey ya'll, this book is the shizznit!

If you like romance you will love this book. If you like feeling frustrated at someone through almost an entire story, you will love this book. If you like happy endings, you will love this book. If you've ever had hopes that one day a handsome, kind, generous billionaire would fall in love with you, you will definitely love this book. If you want a book to make you FEEL, then you will love this book.

Seriously, buy this book!

Anne Best is a widow and mother of two. She's startled to be invited to interview for a job in New York as an executive assistant. She feels out-classed and over-aged as she sits in the waiting room looking at all the eager, young candidates. When her name is finally called, she nervously enters the interview room to see a gorgeous older man sitting there. Then he opens his mouth.

Her temper flares and she tells him off, ready to go back home to Texas and call it all a waste of time. But he hires her. He's not as bad as first impressions would seem and Anne becomes determined to find him a match (matchmaking being her hobby) to the detriment of everyone and everything else. 

You will want to slap her, but you'll be rooting for her the whole time.

I laughed, I cried a few times. I LOVED Gram. If a certain something had gone differently with Gandalf (buy the book if you want to know) I would have been devastated. I couldn't put it down. 

CAVEATS:

Now, if your'e on Amazon you'll see a couple of 2 star reviews. I was shocked but I read them. I actually don't disagree with their points. 

Point 1: The book is a bit long for the story. It's hard to whittle it down as an author after pouring your heart and soul onto the pages for months or years. I do think this could do with some paring down. As far as grammatical and spelling errors, there were a few but not so many as to be distracting. I've found the same number of errors in books from the big publishing houses. Not a big deal.

Point 2: Getting frustrated with Anne and her internal dialogue. I literally wanted to choke her out sometimes. She does over-think EVERYTHING and Steven does have to coddle her. But let me ask you this, don't you know somebody who's like that? I sure do! They exist.

Also, if you've read romance before you know that it's very formulaic - in a good way. Frustration is par for the course. It's all about delayed gratification. Greater frustration and buildup means more satisfaction at the end. Right ladies? ;)

If you're an "A" type personality you may not be able to deal with Anne. It's worth it though. 

Point 3: Character development lacking. Well, yes and no. I think we have go back to realizing that this is a lighthearted romance, not a character-driven drama. The author even labeled it as "Romantic Comedy" in the title! 

As romances go it's always the same, super hot non-conceited woman finds herself in situation with super hot misunderstood man. Stuff happens. They finally hook up. The end.

REASONS WHY, IN SPITE OF CAVEATS, YOU SHOULD BUY & READ IT:

1. No need to brush up on penis euphemisms or synonyms. It's very PG-13 and I, for one, appreciate that. It's very satisfying without the smut.

2. It made me feel. For me, that's the whole point of reading. They aren't always pleasant emotions but a book has to make me feel something. I felt many different emotions with this book.

3. It's well written. This is not a plot or character driven novel; it doesn't need to be. Romance is all about the tease. They almost hook up, but then they don't. He's about to profess his love, and someone interrupts. She almost realizes her feelings, but then she gets distracted. Good stuff. I actually yelled at my phone/Kindle, "If you don't stop interrupting him and let him speak I'm gonna smack you!!" 

4. It's light-hearted and makes you feel good. It's sweet. 

5. I couldn't put it down. I have a 3 month old and a 5 year old. Had to juggle life a bit to get this read, but I read it every chance I got! While nursing my infant, while walking around, while cooking, while my 5 year old did his homeschool work... I couldn't wait to get back to it.

I think I've given you enough information to make an informed decision, and I hope you think it's worth a shot. It really is a very good book. 

As an author myself, I would request that if you do read this book please leave an honest review. It helps us become better writers. Thanks for reading my long-winded review!

Get your copy today!

No comments:

Post a Comment